Kitchen fire destroys elderly woman’s home

Fire services received multiple calls to the house fire in Algies Bay last week.

An 85-year-old Algies Bay woman has found herself homeless after a fire destroyed her house in The Nook on Thursday evening, December 5.

Specialist fire investigator Nick Linton says the fire started in the kitchen and quickly spread through the rest of the house, causing extensive damage.

“The reality is that with modern furnishings, house fires are more toxic and travel nine to 10 times faster than they did in, say, the 1960s,” he says.

“The cause of the fire was ‘unattended cooking’. I can’t stress enough the importance of staying in the kitchen when you are cooking – keep looking when cooking.”

Officer Linton understands the home owner is staying with her daughter, but was unable to provide any further details. There were no reports of injury.


0 Comments

There are no comments on this article.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now